Friday, July 18, 2008

Our Trip to Nauvoo

For the first week of Daniel's three week summer vacation we decided to take a trip to Nauvoo. Daniel had never been and I had been twice, but I was very excited to make the trip together. I love that little town! Our first night there we went to a show called Sunset on the Mississippi. This is a sort of hoe down put on by the young performing and senior missionaries. It had to be moved this year from its original location because of the flooding of the river. (By the way, it's really a miracle because none of the historical sites or homes were damaged by the flooding.) We loved this show! It was so entertaining and we recommend it to anyone visiting Nauvoo. The next morning we did a session in the temple. I can't even begin to describe the beauty of this building. Even the lockers in the dressing rooms are made out of dark wood. It's such a special experience to go through the temple and gain a deeper love and respect for the pioneers and what sacrifice it took to build that temple.




After the temple we began touring the restored homes of Nauvoo. There was so much to learn and see. The senior missionaries gave tours of all the homes and buildings, and they always shared their testimonies at the end of the tour. The spirit is so strong there and the missionaries help you feel the spirit everywhere you go.

Here's Daniel making a rope at the family living center! We also went to Carthage while we were there. This picture is of us standing outside the jail at the bottom of the window that Joseph Smith fell out of when he was shot.

We had a wonderful trip!


1 comment:

D-n-E said...

I love Nauvoo and it looks like you guys had a great time. Congratulations on the pregnancy!!!! We are so excited to hear that. I am due January 7th. Hurray for getting bigger together. Keep us posted (literally) on what's happening with you and the new little one. My ultrasound is on August 11th. Do you have one scheduled yet? Any special hopes on the gender?